What are the benefits of asking for advice from an accountant?

When thinking about whether to outsource the filing of your Self Assessment tax return to an accountant it is first worth considering how complicated your business life has been over the previous tax year. The more complicated, the greater the benefits of hiring an accountant.

You’ll save money

Whether it’s saving the amount of tax that you pay or helping you to avoid any nasty fines for filing late, an accountant is likely to save you money. Accountants understand which tax allowances are available to you and the reliefs that you can claim. They also have people who specialise in different tasks which makes them more efficient.

You’ll save time

Sorting and out your finances and filing your tax return takes time. Many of our clients find that their time is better spent either focusing on running their business of enjoying some well earned time with family and friends.

You’ll be able to plan for the future

Most accountants don’t just crunch the numbers, they will help you understand how to manage your finances better, help you with business planning and make sure you understand more about the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.

You’ll be able to grow your business

Accountants work with all kinds of businesses some of whom may be able to benefit from the goods or services that you offer, others who may be able to help you. Most accountants have a ready-made business network which they are usually happy to introduce you to.

You’ll stay on the right side of the law

Understanding all of the different legislation that is required for running a business can be hard. Your accountant will guide you through the rules and regulations.

Get in touch

If you have any queries then do get in touch, we offer a free initial consultation to talk about your requirements and potential solutions.

Phone 01634 540 040
Email contact@aktax.co.uk

What records do I need to keep?

You are required by law to keep correct records to enable you to fill in a tax return. These include:

  • income and sales generated by your business
  • the costs of running your business – your expenses
  • PAYE records – if you employ anyone
  • VAT records – if you are VAT registered
  • details of your personal income

You must keep your records for at least 5 years after the deadline for the relevant year. This includes proof such as receipts, bank statements and invoices.


What happens if I get things wrong?

Minor errors can often be put right by an exchange of emails or a phone call, more serious errors that result in significant under-declared income can be considered grounds for opening an enquiry. If any errors are down to fraud or negligence, you may be liable to a penalty and have to pay interest on any underpaid tax.

HMRC defines four types of errors with penalties ranging from 0% to 100% of the underpaid tax.

  • Where reasonable care has been taken but later find that an error has been made and report to HMRC, no  penalty is applied.
  • Where there has been an error due to carelessness, a penalty of 0% – 30% applies. Following prompting from HMRC, a minimum of 15% applies.
  • Where there has been a deliberate misstatement 20% – 70%, rising to a 35% minimum following  prompting.
  • Where a deliberate misstatement has been made which is then concealed, the penalty is between  30% –100% rising to a 70% minimum following prompting from HMRC.

The penalties are designed to deter anyone from making deliberately inaccurate statements and are especially harsh if these are then further concealed from HMRC.

What if I need help filing my tax return?

HMRC offer a series of webinars and videos that provide self-help advice on everything from understanding why you have been sent a tax return to appealing against late fine penalties.

Alternatively, an accountant or tax adviser will be able to take care of the entire process from start to finish or help with aspects of the Self Assessment process that you are unsure of.


Do I need to file a personal tax return?

Most people in the UK will not need to fill in a tax return (SA100) because tax is deducted automatically from their wages through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system. Tax is also deducted from savings and pensions at source. If wages, savings or a pension are your only form of income HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will not send you a tax return to complete.

Self Assessment is the system that the government uses to collect income tax that is not deducted at source. If you are sent a tax return for Self Assessment you are required by law to report details of your taxable income and capital gains. HMRC uses the information on your tax return to work out how much tax you owe or whether you are due a tax refund or can claim tax allowances and reliefs.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) may issue a tax return to you each tax year (the tax year runs from 6 April one year to 5 April the next). If you receive a tax return, you must either fill it in or tell HMRC why you think you do not need to. HMRC will confirm in writing if they agree that you do not need to complete one.

HMRC will issue you with a tax return if you:

  • are self employed and earned more than £1,000 in the tax year
  • are a company director
  • received more than £2,500 in rental income from property
  • income from savings and investments was more than £10,000
  • income from shares and dividends was more than £10,000
  • have income from abroad
  • lived abroad and had a UK income
  • household receives Child Benefit and someone in your household has a taxable income above £50,000.
  • were paid over £100,000

The form can be completed online or by filling in a paper form. The paper form must be completed by 31 October following the end of the tax year. The online tax return must be completed by 31 January following the end of the tax year.

If your tax return is not completed by the stated date you will receive an automatic penalty. The penalty is £100 if it is up to 3 months late or more if it’s later. Refer to HMRC’s calculator to estimate how much your penalty will be if your return is over 3 months late.

Explore our Business Advisory Guides

Tax Planning Strategies for your Business: Maximising Deductions and Credits

Investing in a strategic approach to tax planning is crucial to ensuring your business is in the best possible position to drive growth and optimise your financial resources. Tax regulations and laws can be difficult to navigate, quickly becoming overwhelming for even experienced teams. To help you get started on your tax planning journey, let’s […]

Read more

The Benefits of Outsourcing Payroll for SMEs

Although it can be tempting to want to handle every element of your business yourself on an in-house basis, outsourcing certain tasks and functions can ease some of the pressure on your shoulders and ensure you are spending both your time and your resources wisely. There are many benefits inherent in outsourcing payroll, so let’s […]

Read more

Navigating Tax Changes in 2024: What your Business Need to Know

The year 2024 brings significant changes to the UK tax landscape, impacting small businesses across the country. Understanding these changes and their implications is crucial for business owners to make informed decisions and adapt their strategies accordingly.  Here, we delve into the key tax changes affecting businesses in 2024 and provide actionable insights for navigating […]

Read more

Read all our Business Advisory guides


Get in touch

Please complete the form and we'll be in touch as soon as possible.

    Get in touch

    Whether you’re starting up or you’re an established business, we’ll make your work with us as easy as humanly possible – starting from the time you get in touch. Just call us on 01634 540040 or complete the form below and we’ll get back to you ASAP.