Property Accountant Kent

The property market in Kent is strong relative to the rest of the country and surrounding counties. Easy access to London and Europe are just two of the factors driving the property market in Medway in particular. High demand for housing as home buyers opt to relocate out of London makes investments in Kent property an attractive option.

Our specialist property accountants act for a range of Kent property businesses including buy to let landlords, second homeowners, residential & commercial construction companies, property developers & property investors as well as property related businesses such as estate agents, architects, surveyors, engineers and all of the associated trades.

Property accountancy is a complex area so it pays to work with a property accountancy firm with wide-ranging experience within the sector and in-depth knowledge of property tax and accounting issues related to the industry.

Our expertise includes

red tick box Property accounts
red tick box Buy-to-let tax advice
red tick box Mortgage interest relief
red tick box Undeclared rental income
red tick box Property company ownership structure
red tick box Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)
red tick box Tax efficient structures for property businesses
red tick box Property VAT planning

Property accounts

The way that property transactions are reflected in your accounts is key to reducing the amount of tax that you pay. A thorough understanding of property accounting rules and how to apply them is crucial. With our property accounting service, all of your financial information is pulled together in real time so you can always see how well your property business is performing. You’ll be able to accurately judge where to make investments as well as see what is costing you money.

Buy-to-let (BTL) tax advice

Whether you have a single BTL property or a whole portfolio you will benefit from careful tax planning in order to stay in the right side of the law as well as to minimise the amount of tax that you pay. Understanding the specific accounting and tax rules is complicated so it pays to get specialist advice. We can help you prepare rental income statements, advise on tax allowable expenses, how to use tax losses and Capital Gains Tax & Inheritance Tax. We will also prepare your annual Self Assessment Tax Return and show your tax position so that you know how much you are owed or are due.

london street

Mortgage interest relief

Under previous rules, pre-April 2017, you could deduct mortgage costs and other associated fees alongside other cost related to your property before working out your taxable profit. When the new regime fully takes effect in April 2020 you will no longer be able to do this if the property is held by an individual rather than a company. This means that the higher your income and the more that you borrow, the greater the impact will be. We can advise you on your best course of action based on your circumstances whether that means setting up a company, selling unprofitable properties or offsetting tax by reducing your costs.

Undeclared rental income

The Let Property Campaign is designed to encourage people with rental properties to voluntarily come forward and declare undisclosed rental income. If you have been targeted by HMRC we can help you lower any potential penalties as well as help you negotiate an affordable payment plan.

Property company ownership structure

AK Tax offers property businesses advice on the most efficient ownership structures for both short term and long term strategies including sole or joint ownership, investment company, trading company, pension fund, LLP or Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV). The decision as to whether to hold property in a particular structure is not a straight forward one. The tax issues related to moving from one structure to the next are particularly complicated. We help our clients understand the advantages and disadvantages of each structure and which best suits their objectives.

Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)

Anyone who uses subcontractors for construction work within the property sector must register as a contractor with HMRC. As a contractor, it is your responsibility to collect taxes from your subcontractors and ensure that the right amount is paid to HMRC. You are also required to complete monthly returns showing which subcontractors have worked for you during the month and any payments you have made. All of which can add a considerable burden to your business. We can help with :

  • CIS registration
  • Monthly CIS returns
  • Annual CIS reporting
  • CIS disputes and penalties
  • Rebates relating to CIS

man building a house

Property VAT planning

Property developers and investors need to consider the VAT implications of buying or developing a property prior to any transactions take place. Converting commercial sites into residential property has particularly complicated implications. It is crucial that the correct approach is taken at the outset because there can be a significant impact on the purchase price or the rent paid on property especially for businesses that are not registered for VAT. AK Tax can ensure that you make the right decisions by advising on the pros and cons of “opting to tax”, reclaiming VAT, your SDLT liability and Transfer of Going Concern (TOGC) rules.

Get in touch

If you have any queries, please get in touch. We offer a free initial consultation to talk about your requirements and potential solutions.

01634 540 040

Contact Us

We have three packages to suit most needs, however, if it’s not quite tailored enough then please get in touch as bespoke packages are always an option.

AK Startup+

AK Startup +

Designed for the small or starting business. Makes sure your taxes and accounts are filed, and your back is covered.

£ 109 + VAT

Learn more

AK Advantage

AK Advantage

Vital input on your financials while making sure that your taxes are always minimised. It’s our most popular package.

£ 209 + VAT

Learn more



All the expertise of a Financial Director into your business, for a fraction of the cost (and still files your accounts and tax returns).

£ 499 + VAT

Learn more

Explore our latest blogs

Small business guide to payroll

As a responsible business owner in the UK, you are legally obligated to compensate your employees regularly and fairly. However, it is not enough that you just pay them every month. You are also required by law to run payroll. What is Payroll? Payroll is a process that includes accounting for payments and deductions, providing […]

Read more

A Small Business and Self-Employed Guide to Pensions

After years of hard work, at some point, we’ll all want to finally stop working and get out of the day to day grind of being in business. However, without securing your pension, this future may be out of reach. Whether you choose to retire at home or relocate to another country, you’ll still need […]

Read more

What Business Expenses can I Claim?

Staying profitable as a small or medium-sized business is enough of a challenge that you don’t want to be paying more taxes for your expenses than you ought to. Here are the business expenses you can claim when filing your tax return. 1. Office Expenses You can claim expenses on the items that keep your […]

Read more

Read more from our blog


Get in touch

Please complete the form and we'll be in touch as soon as possible.